Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Chile -35

So, in between learning a lot about Chilean politics, I'm also having feelings and emotions about my upcoming trip. Realizing that I'll be on my way exactly 5 weeks from now is both exhilarating and terrifying.

With the luggage my parents gave me for my birthday, the new sweaters I've bought for the cold cold winter that will greet me upon arrival, and my two travel guide books, I feel nearly prepared, materially speaking. I found out from my co-traveler Maria last week that as of May 28th, a Chilean consulate is open in Olympia, Wash. This is very good news, as I wasn't looking forward to shelling out a couple hundred bucks to go to San Francisco to take care of my visa. As a result, the biggest roadblock left in my path has shrunk considerably. In thrtee words, I'm almost there.

It's been interesting to hear from people who have or know people who have travelled to Chile. One of the volunteers in my mom's office has been 3 times, my friend Bryce has a cousin who has just returned from his own studies there, my friend Lauren's boyfriend visited while he was in Argentina, and another friend, Nic, sat with a Chilean couple on an airplane yesterday, etc. While I like having people to badger with questions and concerns, I'm beginning to feel awkward in making conversation with people I would otherwise have nothing in common with.

All the same, it's exciting, and it's happening faster than I could imagine.

4 comments:

Bryce said...

This is a happier entry. I'm glad that you're excited about your opportunity, and your chilean political commentary has been educational for me.

I seem to remember james saying at one point or another that he was terrified of the bus system as well. Not that that should make you feel better. Or something.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna miss you while you're there, MaryAnn! It sounds like Chile will be amazing and it's great that there's a consulate closer than san francisco! yayy

Lisa

girlalex said...

Oh lord that's the most awkward thing, friends saying "oh my friends cousin's brother went there, you should talk!" and then it turns into a "so.. um.. yea." sort of conversation.

Read books and get advice before you go, sure - but you'll also be there soon enough making your own impressions and memories.

I can't wait to hear from you once you're there! (but take lots of long hot showers and other luxuries while you're at home and you can - you'll miss those!)

T-Mac said...

Rock on about the easy visa deal...have fun! :-)