Monday, October 22, 2007

A little bit of gangrene never hurt anyone...

So I might have left out a little insignificant detail about my life lately...
Since Saturday, I have attended a medical clinic three times to treat a weird gross thing that developed midway through last week. It started as a dark bruise on a raised red area on my side, transformed into a very tender bruise, then blistered over with a centimeter-thick blood blister.

Running theory from the 3 doctors an stack of attendants who saw me over the weekend is that it's a bite from an arana del rincon, the Chilean recluse spider. Chile's only poisonous species, the recluse is not so reclusive this time of year, as it is spring and there are bugs EVERYWHERE.

Today, I went to see a dermatologist to talk about what comes next for the dead part on my skin. He wasn't so convinced that it was a spider bite, as I never felt an instantaneous, unbearable pain that always marks a bite this serious. His alternative diagnosis? To use his words (translated), "Now don't be afraid of the word 'gangrenous'..."

For now, I'm taking antibiotics every six hours, using a topical antibiotic each morning, and watching to see how the bruise changes over the next two weeks. It's awesome fun... and as always, an adventure.

I do want to be clear though: DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME. If it was, indeed, a spider bite, it's not going to get worse from here on. If it's something else, the way awesome dermatologist will save the day. The healthcare system here is modern, precautious, and very capable. So truly, I'm fine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean that you are a grangreneous gringa?