Thursday, October 18, 2007

Where I've Been

I thought keeping a blog would work to keep me writing, documenting my life, and reflecting. Once I started, I realized how much I was enjoying it and figured I'd never be bored of it. Looking at the drop off of entries over the past few weeks, it's clear that I was wrong. Such is life...

So: some highlights:

-Mendoza, Argentina last weekend was excellent. Winery and chocolate factory tours, paragliding, trekking, rappelling, rafting, and piles of delicious food. An asado (barbeque) with some 150 hostel-stayers, getting stuck for 3 hours crossing the border there but 45 minutes coming back because our driver makes friends with the border people, the best margarita of my life, fajitas for 6 people, yerba mate, real brewed coffee.
-Getting a 6.8 (scale of 7) on my paper for my class on Chilean Theater of 20th Century.
-Seeing a play at an ex-prison, which Valparaiso has converted into a community cultural center
-Excursion to Santiago, where we saw Villa Grimaldi, a detention/torture center during the dictatorship, fair trade co-ops, and the city cemetery including tombs of many war heroes and Salvador Allende.
-The arrest of 23 of Pinochet's family members and inner circle on charges related to tax evasion, a big step in the Riggs case that had appeared to end with the General's death in 2006.
-Spending way too much time on the beach practically every day.

2 comments:

T-Mac said...

A 6.8? That's awesome...you're a paer-writing BA. Hope all is well!

girlalex said...

Nooo, don't fall off the bandwagon! The blogosphere needs you!