Monday, July 23, 2007

Hace MUCHISIMO FRIO

I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life. It's not that the weather is too horrible, 30-40s and rainy, it's simply that there is no place to escape from it.

For a country so modern, so comfortable, people here really aren't big fans of warmth. Certainly, heating one's home or office is expensive; sure, very few buildings have central heating systems; of course, it's better for the environment and economically sound to not waste energy. But to me, those are not reasons for leaving doors to buildings wide open in the middle of winter. Especially the one about conservation!

My bed has two huge comforters and I've been bundling up in as many layers as possible, even wearing my host mom's slippers! My friends AF and RF and I hung out in a supermarket cafe this afternoon, drinking hot cocoa and eating alfomjas (a cookie sandwich with dulce de leche in the middle, dipped in chocolate), and I had some tea in the afternoon and hot soup with dinner. Still, I feel like a freezer-burnt steak, with sections of flesh frozen off the bones. Que tragica!

(PS: I know I'll toughen up soon and get used to it, and I recognize that things are different here, not better or worse, just different. And colder. I just needed someone to feel sorry for me, who wasn't also adapting to the middle of winter from the middle of summer!)

3 comments:

Not a Granny said...

Hi! Found your blog quite by accident. I was actually raised in Wenatchee, Washington, now living in Florida. I will do some catch up reading on your blog to find out why you are freezing.

Unknown said...

I'm sure it will all be worth it when you start enjoying sunshine in november. it's going to be hard to come back and just get soaked

Bryce said...

I am so jealous. It's 105 here. At least we have A.C. I'm catching up on your experiences; just got back from CR.