Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mama Said...

Despite my mother's consistent and caring reminders, I've avoided sunscreen fairly successfully for the majority of my self-dependent years. I hate the smell, I hate the feel, I hate the process of putting it on. My half-latina genes always did enough to get me tan without burning. Apparently, not in Chile.

The proximity to the hole in the ozone layer and a culture of tanning (because being Latino here isn't tan enough, it seems) equates to a ridiculously high rate of skin cancer in Chile. Though I fortunately don't count myself among those numbers, I am currently suffering from the worst sunburn of my life. My skin is smarting and red from the nape of the back of my neck to my heels, saving only white lines from my bikini top and a comparatively bleach white bottom. Ouch. Shoulda listened to my mom...

2 comments:

girlalex said...

My last weekend in Senegal, determined to get a decent tan, I laid out for 5+ hours with no sunscreen. I left looking like a raccoon (thx to giant sunglasses) with leprosy, much to the amusement of my friends and family in London. Hopefully it heals before you have to sit on a plane for hours!

Anonymous said...

yep!