Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oye, Gringa!

Today, I reached a new level. I'm not really sure yet if it was a high or a low...

After more than 4 months now of hundreds of "piropos" (loosely translated as being whistled at and/or propositioned on the street), I snapped. I'd complained about the graphic and degrading nature of walking past a man to my friends, here and in the States, my host family, really anyone who would listen. I'd joked about the language skills I wish I had to appropriately tell them off, compared horror stories, and taken many angry, scrub-too-hard showers. What pushed me over the line this morning? Who knows... It was just another guy, wolf whistling. But, everyone has their brink, and this apparently was mine. "F@$K OFF!" I screamed, at the horny city employee raking grass in the median. Immediately (unnecessarily?) ashamed, I looked around at the morning pedestrian commuters. To my surprise, no one even took notice, despite my shouted English. No loss! I think I'll have to do it more frequently- it might not change the machismo in the world, but I'll get a little healthy catharsis, at the least.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...kudos to you! I can't tell you how often I wanted to do that!!