Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Another Favorite Place

Today, I used part of the warm and sunny afternoon to walk the length of Viña's beach. It's not very long (4ish km) and in some parts, not very beach-y, but today it was officially added to my list of favorite places.

It turns out that the walk above the beach on Tuesday afternoons at high tide isn't a very popular place to be: a few couples canoodling in the off-and-on plaza across the street from the boardwalk, some joggers, and a petshop's worth of stray dogs, maybe. And me.

As I walked along the sidewalk boardering the sand/rocks, I watched monstrous waves plowing into and smashing on each other. The air was thick and bitter from their spray, and every so often, an extra-monstrous wave would crash into the rocks so hard that water would bounce off the rocks, over 30 yards and a short wall, and splash the unsuspecting snack stand, random jogger, or grinning gringa. One of the stray dogs was running along the wall, barking and snapping at the water any time a wave dared to touch him.

Then a creepy gypsy woman tried to rub some leaves into my hand for health and happiness, so I went home.

2 comments:

alli's in wonderland said...

the gypsy woman did that to me too!

really they kind of freak me out.

Anonymous said...

MaryAnn! Guess what I made?? Cherry crisp! We should make crisp during winter break. I'm so proud of myself for how well it turned out so I had to tell you. Hope the rest of your week is peaceful and enjoyable.