Monday, August 13, 2007

On the Bus this Morning

Bus drivers in Vina/Valparaiso treat their dashboards like personal desks. There's often pictures of families, motivational stuff, and of course, at least one saint.

Today, on the way to school, the bus I was on was a little bit different. The dash and shades were covered in stickers of Disney characters and American flags. Posted above the windshield was a mock license plate which read "USA- Still #1." I spent much of the ride examining the bus driver, wondering if he lived in the US and why. Nothing he did betrayed a Gringo background, and I got off the bus without a sense of where he got his USA pride.

It's just strange to run into artifacts of my own country so far away. I really hate to admit that a couple stars and stripes had this effect on me, but it almost made me feel a little homesick.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

proof positive that the rest of the world still loves us.