Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hiding

Tomorrow is my host mom's birthday, but since we all had a day off (on account of something Catholic...I think...), we celebrated today.

Let me explain celebrated. My host brother who I hadn't yet met and his fiancee came in from Santiago, and the whole family had a great big lunch together. Now, my family is pretty good about speaking slowly and clearly so I can understand, but I'm 70% sure the long-lost host brother was intentionally leaving me in the dust. I spent most of lunch trying to remember to keep both hands on the table and focusing on the delicious Chilean red wine.

When we migrated (about 4 feet) to the living room, I sat awkwardly and tried to feel like I had things in common with anyone. They were catching up on family gossip and talking about wedding plans, so it was really quite futile. Since Niko had retreated to reggaetone and the internet in his room, I gave up and hid, too. Now they are all sitting on the bed in the parents' room, laughing and looking at pictures of people I'll never know. I watched Smallville, some travel show, and Will and Grace.

Sometimes, it's very lonely to live in someone else's house. My host mom keeps telling me that it's my home, too, and I can feel comfortable and do whatever I want. That might factually be the case, but realisticly, it's impossible. Even if it is "my house," it's not my family, and thus, it's not my home.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I know what you mean I think. I've been sick the past couple days, and while my host mom has been great and everything, its not the same as having my own mom to help me feel better, and my own bed to sleep all day in.

Jeff said...

So i know it doesnt relate but since i dont know what part of chile your in. Did the earth quake in peru affect you at all? You should just let loose and enjoy yourself while your over there.

alli's in wonderland said...

i agree. i think we have already discussed this...

my question is, how do you add links to other peoples blogs to yours?