Tuesday, August 28, 2007

As the World Turns

I feel as though I haven't posted anything with meaning in quite a while. The problem is that nothing is new anymore, and very little is changing. The bright colors of houses on the hillsides are blending together and fading in front of my eyes, and the food is not so surprisingly fresh with every bite anymore.

While I'm slightly bored in Chile, everything is new and exciting and just beginning for everyone back home. Classes at Willamette start today, and friends elsewhere are also embarking on a new semester very soon. I feel like my world is moving on without me, and it's a little bit frightening. I think this is part of the perspective I'm supposed to be gaining in this experience: not only the spontaneity of hopping on the bus to go to the wine with ice cream place in Valparaiso at 2 am, but accepting the lack of control over what happens in my real life while I'm away. As someone who needs control and order, this is a very difficult lesson to learn.

On the other hand, that night's adventure to Bitacora was a very good move. This change might be as well.

1 comment:

girlalex said...

I found that too, that when I left and was out around the world, the hardest thing was letting go of the things that were happening at home. Can't remember how I got over that, or if I even did.