Sunday, August 12, 2007

Poroto

Today, with dinner, we had some poroto which I helped to make last week. It's very tasty, though distincly not USA-ian. I attempted a google search for the recipe so I could share it with you all, but that was a miserable failure. It turns out that "poroto" means about a billion things in different languages. Thus, I give you my interpretation:

Poroto (serves many)
One big chunk of poroto (squashish thing, white and bumpy skin, orange flesh)
Some white beans
Salt and pepper
Spaghetti noodles

Cut big chunk of poroto into many smaller chunks of poroto, removing the skin. Put these in a big pot with water, cook until overdone and mashy. Add more water, and white beans. Cook until white beans are soft. Break spaghetti noodles in half, and add to mashy poroto-bean mixture. Cook until noodles are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. It should slightly resemble baby food, but taste delicious.

If I was cooking this in my own home, I think I'd add some spicy things, like cayenne or maybe curry. Or green onions, because they'd look nice with all the orange mashiness. And maybe sprinkle shredded asaigo cheese on top, because I do that to everything.

3 comments:

girlalex said...

Yum, sounds delicious. Also I love cooking in other countries because they don't bother with silly measuring cups, just throw some of this and that in and BAM it's amazing.

Mamacita Chilena said...

Porotos Granados...mmmm, delish!

Anonymous said...

MaryAnn! You attracted my attention when you mentioned Liberty Lake in November. (Now are you worried about governmental surveillance?)

I looked up porotos granados and found a couple of recipes. Let's try them out when you get home.

http://www.recipezaar.com/97309